Le Salon de M. Doucet, rue de la Paix, or Chez le Couturier

Gatier – Le Salon de M. Doucet, rue de la Paix

Pierre Gatier (1878-1944), Le Salon de M. Doucet, rue de la Paix, or Chez le Couturier, colored etching and aquatint in three plates, 1911, signed in pencil lower right, and numbered lower left (18) [also signed in the plate]. Reference: F. Gatier 76, only state. From the edition of 125, as editioned by Georges Petit, and with the blindstamp lower left of the Cercle de la Librairie (Lugt 438). 10 1/2 x 17 3/4, the sheet 14 3/8 x 19 3/4 inches.

Provenance: Galerie Grillon, Paris

A fine fresh impression.

Georges Petit published Gatier’s prints from about 1909 to 1911; thereafter he was published by Edmond Sagot, and then Marcel Guiot. Gatier’s prints are elegant examples of Belle Epoque sensibility; his work was carefully thought out and in fact he wrote a lone treatise on the use of color in these aquatints, much of which was published recently in the fine catalogue raisonne of his work compiled by Felix Gatier.  In this treatise Gatier notes that Le Salon de M. Doucet was made from three plates: yellow, blue and red, and that there is no black ink used in the plate.

Jacques Doucet was a famous couturier, the founder of the Parisian Iconography Society, and a great fan of Gatier – he bought more than sixty Gatier prints, and numerous engravings, drawings and watercolors.  The men became friends, and Gatier was the only artist allowed into Doucet’s workshop, enabling him to create the busy scene in Le Salon de M. Doucet.